Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bad Reaction to African Shea Butter?

A lot of the products that I've been using lately (SheaMoisture and Nubian Heritage) have Shea Butter in them so it just made sense for me to buy it from the local African store. I mean you get a big tub of it for only $10. I wanted to do a dry twist-out which I've never done. Not sure why. Maybe because it just saved time to just go ahead and twist it while it's wet rather than wait for it dry or blow dry it and then twist it.  I took about 2 tablespoons of Shea Butter and I melted it in the microwave.  I don't like the way that it smells so I added a few drops of Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen Oil which has olive oil and other oils in it. It has a pretty strong fragrance and I thought that it would get rid of the playdough smell that African Shea Butter has.  I applied it to my hair from root to tip before twisting.  I may have used too much but I noticed that my hair began to tangle once I finished twisting. I started to get to knots at the end of my hair and I wasn't even doing anything to it. Hard knots, knots that I would have to cut out of my hair. My hair felt dry and when I touched the ends of my hair, hair was coming out.  My hair felt like it was deteriorating. So I took down the twists and jumped into the shower. I washed my hair with shampoo 3 times to get it out and deep conditioned with Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie.  Even as I type this, my hair has SheaMoisture in it and my hair feels so much better than when it had the African Shea Butter in it.  I don't know what the problem was. I guess Shea Butter has to be mixed with something. My hair loves Nubian Heritage Shea Butter with Goat's Milk and Chai but not African Shea Butter by itself?  All I know is that I'm not ever going to use the African Shea Butter on my hair ever again. That was a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment