Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Henna Time Again!

So, I just had to wash my hair after running a 5k marathon due to the sweat.  I was also overdue for a much needed henna treatment.  So I boiled 3 bags of green tea in a pot for about an hour. I mixed that with 2 tablespoons of honey and Jamila Henna Powder 3.5oz (100g) let it sit covered for 30 minutes (next time I think that I going to let it sit longer) while I shampooed with Carol's Daughter Tui Herbal Shampoo 8-ozI also finger detangled as I rinsed the shampoo out of my hair.  Then, I separated hair into six sections and separated each of those sections into twos as I applied the henna. I smoothed it generously from root to tip.  Once finished, I wrapped my hair around my head; it stays put due to the thickness of the henna.  I placed two shower caps on my head to contain my big hair.  For the first, 15 minutes, I sat with a warm towel wrapped around my head.  I left the henna in for a total of 6 hours.  Henna treatments are so relaxing.  It had this awesome cooling effect and it tingles on my scalp.  I guess that's why it's best to probably henna overnight. 

 After rinsing, I usually apply Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Smoothie for an hour but I was so sleepy that I just threw on a shower cap, bonnet, put a towel on my pillow, and went to sleep.  I did put my hair in four two-strand twists as well.  By morning, my hair felt so conditioned.  My hair felt awesome as I did a braid-out.  I applied the usual Motions At Home Foaming Wrap Lotion with Nubian Heritage's Shea Butter with Goat's Milk and Chai. This is only the second time I've ever done a braid-out because I've concluded that twist-outs last longer than braid-outs. Braid-outs are good for elongating my hair so I decided to try it not that my hair is longer. I also gave myself a trim.  My hair felt really conditioned. That is...until it dried. My scalp and hair was very dry. I had to oil my scalp with Carol's Daughter's Khoret Amen Hair oil which was the first time since I had my daughter almost 2 years ago. I had stopped due to acquiring a dandruff problem and having scalp build up issues during pregnancy.  It's something that I may have to go back to considering that my scalp sucked up the oil after the henna treatment. I may have to try co-washing again which I haven't done since m TWA days.  That's what I'm going to have to do now that's it warm and I'm going to be sweating from all the running I'm going to do. I m doing another marathon in three weeks.

Maybe it's time to just protect my hair by keeping it in twists for most of the summer and only letting it out for special occasions so that I can keep my hair moisturized and my scalp healthy. Luckily, henna has cured my dandruff problem.

Anyway, my hair is so dry right. I've oiled my hair and the ends with Khoret Amen hair oil and I'll probably do that everyday until the moisture returns. I'm going to try co-washing in the next couple of days and go back to twists.  On the other hand, my hair does feel strong and there is less hair in my detangling brush.  I love that my gray hairs have turned red but I just want to try to find a higher quality henna.



Thanks for reading. I hope this post has helped someone :).

No comments:

Post a Comment