Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Long Awaited BAQ Jamila Henna Review

I know that you guys (my very many followers) have been waiting for me to give a review of BAQ Jamila Henna Powder 3.5oz (100g). BAQ stands for Body Art Quality which is supposed to be the best.


First, I ordered two boxes off of Amazon.com.  Cost was around $8 so it's very affordable.  I have very thick hair but one 100g box was more than enough for me.  Technically, you're supposed to let the henna sit overnight for ultimate dye release but I didn't add in time for this part nor did I have the patience  Basically, what I ended up doing was boiling 3 packs of green tea, added it the henna as I stirred, and let it sit for about 10 minutes while I shampooed and detangled my hair in the shower.

This method is not recommended and I will definitely be letting it sit overnight next time I henna. I am quite nervous about letting it sit because after a while, henna does tend to become cakey. I don't know how you're supposed to apply it when it's like that but I guess I will find out next time. Even though, I didn't do it this time around, I could still tell that there was some dye release because the henna was looking a little orange brown instead of green.
I didn't add the honey or apple cider with this application like I did with the Rainbow Research Henna.  All that was added was the 3 packs of green tea. I separated my hair in 8 sections and applied the henna from roots to end.  Next time, I'll have to do even smaller sections because I don't feel like the henna was evenly distributed with just 8 sections. 
After application, I tied a grocery bag (shower caps are too small for my thick hair) around my head.  Instead of just leaving it in for 70 minutes, this time I left the henna in overnight.  I covered my pillow with towel just in case but I had no leakage.
The next morning, I spent approximately an hour washing the henna out of my hair. While wet, my hair felt conditioned and easy to comb through.  My gray hairs are more red than orange and you can really see the red tint when it's sunny.  I like the color. I received much better results with this henna.  Also, before I started using henna, I had a dandruff problem and henna has seemed to drastically reduce it so that's a plus.
However, there is one con.  After washing the henna out, I immediately styled my hair in a two-strand twist.  I waited a week and untwisted my hair so that I could wear it in a twist out. I noticed that my hair was pretty dry and my twist out barely lasted a week.  When you henna, I would suggest that you really keep your hair conditioned.  I like the color so I'm going to keep on doing it but I'm going to at least give it a month before I henna the next time.

Twist out after henna



You can see the red better when I'm outside in the sun.

BAQ Jamila Henna Powder 3.5oz (100g) is definitely the henna that I will be using from now on and I'll be sure to let y'all know the results when I become a more experienced henna head.

No comments:

Post a Comment