Monday, March 26, 2012

My Hair Care Regimen

Hopefully, posting what products I use will help someone discover what works for their hair.  I'm just going to outline what products I use and how.

Carol's Daughter Tui Moisturizing Sulfate-Free Shampoo

$13

Before this, I was using the Khoret Amen shampoo, smoothie, and oil before Carols Daughter discontinued it. I loved the smell and this is the product that really conditioned my hair and made it grow.  When I used it, I always received compliments on how good it smelt. So now I use the Tui products and it produces similar results.  The scent is much lighter but it conditions my hair adequately.  I still have a little bit of the Khoret Amen oil left. I used it before as a hot oil treatment. I would apply it to dry hair and sit under the dryer for 15 minutes right before shampooing. It worked great and would really make my scalp tingle which I associate with hair growth. I haven't done hot oil treatments since they discontinued the product because I'm trying to make it last as long as possible but every now and then, I will use it to re-moisturize my hair while wearing a twist out. Once I finally use that up, I'll probably try the Carol's Daughter Tui Moisturizing Hair Oil and I may or may not go back to hot oil treatments.  But, Lisa, if you happen, by chance, ever come across this blog, then please bring back the Khoret Amen products.
$20
After shampooing, I apply a generous amount of the smoothie.  It works great for detangling.  I use my handy dandy detangling brush after applying this product from root to end.

Around $5
This is not the exact brush that I use but it is very similar. Mine is a little bigger (the bigger the better) and square but any brush that has the little balls on the end will do the trick. This combined with the heat of the shower really softens my hair. I usually will leave the smoothie on for 5 to 10 mins while I shave or something and then rinse it out. Every now and then, I will apply a plastic shower cap and leave it on for an hour or two for deep conditioning.

Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion (box of24)


$4.49
My signature style is a twist out. I normally will wear my hair in two-strand twists for bout a week and then wear it in a twist out for another week (to get two styles out of one). I use the wrapped lotion to re wet my hair while twisting it. Any wrapping lotion will work but I prefer it to be foam.

Carol's Daughter Hair Balm (4 oz)


$12
This product is applied right after the wrapping lotion.  It really makes my hair look shiny and conditioned.  I smooth the product through my hair with a fine tooth comb before twisting. Technique is just as important as finding the right kind of product. After twisting, I just let my hair air dry.


Jamila Henna Powder 3.5oz (100g)

$4
I just recently added this to my hair care regimen. I've only done two henna treatments so I'm still very much a novice.  I mainly use this for deep conditioning and I love the red tint that it puts on my hair. I will probably do a treatment at least once a month. For more info on how to use henna, please check out my previous post entitled The Long Awaited BAQ Jamila Review.

Carols Daughter products can be purchased at carolsdaughter.com, Sephora, and select hair salons. I get my Jamila henna from Amazon.

So this is my natural hair care regimen. When I first went natural, I wish that someone would have given me some kind of instruction on which hair products AND utensils to use so hopefully this will some fellows naturals out there. Thanks for checking out my blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment